*We may earn a commission for purchases made using our links. Please see our disclosure to learn more.
If you’re in search of a large, fluffy, friendly, and intelligent cat, the Maine Coon might be the perfect choice for you. As one of the most popular cat breeds globally, Maine Coons have garnered their reputation for good reasons. With their striking appearance, gentle demeanor, and unwavering loyalty, they make wonderful companions. However, before welcoming a Maine Coon into your home, it’s essential to find the right cat breeder. In this article, we’ll explore the advantages of acquiring a kitten from reputable Maine Coon cat breeders, the risks associated with obtaining one from a backyard breeder or pet store, and offer some valuable tips for finding a reputable Maine Coon Cat Breeder. Additionally, we’ll provide guidance on how to prepare for the arrival of your new Maine Coon kitten.
Table of Contents
Benefits of Getting a Maine Coon from a Reputable Cat Breeder
Getting a Maine Coon from a reputable breeder comes with a host of benefits:
- Health: Your peace of mind is guaranteed knowing that your Maine Coon kitten will be healthy. Reputable breeders meticulously screen their cats for common genetic diseases found in Maine Coons, such as hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM), polycystic kidney disease (PKD), spinal muscular atrophy (SMA), and hip dysplasia (HD). Health certificates showcasing the results of these tests are provided. Additionally, reputable breeders ensure their kittens are vaccinated against infectious diseases like feline leukemia virus (FeLV), feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV), and feline panleukopenia virus (FPV). Deworming and parasite treatments, including protection against fleas, ticks, and mites, are routinely administered. Furthermore, unless sold for breeding purposes, reputable Cat Breeders spay or neuter their kittens before they find new homes.
- Temperament: A Maine Coon from a reputable Cat Breeder will exhibit a good temperament. These Cat Breeders prioritize early socialization, exposing their kittens to various people, animals, sounds, and environments. This careful socialization helps the kittens develop confidence, curiosity, and a friendly nature. Moreover, reputable Cat Breeders ensure their kittens are raised in a stable and loving environment, providing ample opportunities for play, exploration, and learning. Mental and physical stimulation, along with toys and enrichment, contribute to well-rounded and sociable Maine Coons. The kittens are thoughtfully matched with owners based on their unique personalities and preferences.
- Quality: With a Maine Coon from a reputable cat breeder, you can be assured of high quality. These Cat Breeders adhere to the strict breed standards established by prestigious associations like The International Cat Association (TICA) and The Cat Fanciers’ Association (CFA). The cats are registered with these associations, and detailed pedigrees showcasing their lineage and history are provided. Reputable breeders showcase their cats in competitions and events, earning recognition and awards from expert judges. The Maine Coons they produce possess the distinctive features typical of the breed, such as large size, long fur, tufted ears, and a plumed tail.
Risks of Getting a Maine Coon from a Backyard Cat Breeder or a Pet Store
When acquiring a Maine Coon from a backyard breeder or a pet store, several risks come into play due to the casual and irresponsible breeding practices of these sources. Backyard breeders lack the necessary knowledge and experience to breed healthy and happy Maine Coons and often prioritize profit or personal enjoyment over the welfare of their cats. Similarly, pet stores are commercial establishments that often obtain their cats from backyard breeders or mills, where large numbers of cats are bred in subpar conditions. Below are the risks associated with obtaining a Maine Coon from such sources:
Perhaps the most significant risk of getting a Maine Coon from a backyard cat breeder or a pet store is the possibility of bringing home a sick or unhealthy kitten. These sources do not perform screenings for common genetic diseases prevalent in Maine Coons, and they fail to provide health certificates showcasing the results of any tests. Additionally, they do not prioritize vaccination against common infectious diseases, neglect deworming and parasite treatment, and may not spay or neuter kittens before sending them to their new homes. This lack of responsible breeding practices can lead to health issues and contribute to overpopulation.
Obtaining a Maine Coon from a backyard cat breeder or a pet store also poses the risk of bringing home a kitten with behavioral problems. Backyard breeders and pet stores do not focus on socializing their kittens from a young age or exposing them to various people, animals, sounds, and situations. As a result, these kittens may develop shyness, fearfulness, aggressiveness, or antisocial behavior. Furthermore, the absence of a stable and loving environment in these settings deprives the kittens of crucial opportunities for play, exploration, and learning. Lack of mental and physical stimulation can contribute to temperament issues.
Choosing a Maine Coon from a backyard cat breeder or a pet store also risks obtaining a kitten of inferior quality. These sources do not adhere to the breed standards set by reputable associations like The International Cat Association (TICA) or The Cat Fanciers’ Association (CFA). Consequently, they do not register their cats with these associations or provide pedigrees showcasing the lineage and history of their cats. Moreover, backyard cat breeders and pet stores do not participate in competitions or events where their cats are evaluated by experts and receive recognition. As a result, the Maine Coons produced in such settings may lack the distinct features characteristic of the breed, such as large size, long fur, tufted ears, and a plumed tail.
How to Find a Reputable Maine Coon Cat Breeder
Now that you’re aware of the benefits of obtaining a Maine Coon from a reputable cat breeder and the risks associated with backyard cat breeders or pet stores, it’s essential to know how to find a trustworthy Maine Coon breeder. Here are some valuable tips to help you find and evaluate potential breeders:
Research for Cat Breeders
- Conduct Thorough Research: Start by conducting comprehensive research online. Utilize various resources such as official websites of associations that register and promote Maine Coons, like TICA and CFA. These websites often feature directories or lists of cat breeders who are members of these associations. Additionally, visit the breeders’ individual websites to review their information, photos, and testimonials.
- Engage in Online Forums: Join online forums or communities dedicated to Maine Coons or cat enthusiasts. These platforms often have sections or threads where people share their experiences, recommendations, or warnings about breeders. Seeking advice from members with more knowledge and experience can be immensely helpful.
- Read Customer Reviews: Look for online reviews or ratings of Maine Coon breeders written by previous customers or clients. These reviews provide valuable feedback on the quality of the breeder’s service and customer satisfaction. Consider leaving your own review after acquiring a Maine Coon from a breeder to contribute to the community.
- Explore Social Media: Follow or like the social media pages or accounts of reputable breeders or Maine Coon enthusiasts. These platforms frequently showcase updates, news, photos, and videos of their cats and kittens. Engaging with them and other followers can offer valuable insights.
When evaluating potential Maine Coon breeders, keep an eye out for the following signs of a reputable breeder:
- Professional and Informative Website: A reputable breeder’s website will provide contact details, credentials, and policies, reflecting their professionalism and commitment to transparency.
- Membership in Official Associations: Membership in recognized associations like TICA and CFA indicates the cat breeder’s dedication to the breed and adherence to standards.
- Positive Customer Reviews: Positive reviews and ratings from previous customers demonstrate the cat breeder’s ability to satisfy their clients and instill trust.
- Active and Caring Social Media Presence: Engaging social media pages or accounts show the Maine Coon breeder’s passion and genuine care for their cats.
- Responsive and Honest Communication: A reputable Maine Coon breeder will promptly and courteously respond to inquiries, providing honest and thorough answers to your questions.
- References or Testimonials: Offering references or testimonials from other customers or clients showcases the breeder’s reliability and allows you to verify their reputation.
By following these tips and conducting thorough research, you can increase your chances of finding a reputable Maine Coon cat breeder and welcoming a healthy and well-tempered kitten into your home.
Contact the cat breeder
The next step in finding a reputable Maine Coon breeder is to get in touch with them and inquire about their breeding practices, policies, and kitten availability. You can reach out to them via phone, email, or messaging, depending on their preferred method of communication. Here are some sample questions you can ask:
- How many years of experience do you have in breeding Maine Coons?
- What is the size of your breeding program, and how frequently do you breed your cats?
- How do you conduct genetic disease screening for your cats, and which tests do you utilize?
- Could you please provide information about the vaccination protocols you follow and the diseases your kittens are protected against?
- What measures do you take to deworm your kittens and treat them for parasites?
- How do you socialize your kittens and introduce them to various people, animals, sounds, and environments?
- At what age do you spay or neuter your kittens, and what methods do you use?
- How do you ensure your Maine Coons meet breed standards and maintain their high quality?
- Do you register your cats with official associations and provide pedigrees for the kittens?
- Have your cats participated in competitions or events, and have they received any awards or recognition?
- Could you please provide details on the pricing of your kittens and what is included in the cost?
- Is there a waiting list, and what is the typical wait time to acquire a kitten from you?
- Can you share your contract terms and conditions?
- What kind of guarantee do you offer, and what are your policies on refunds, returns, or exchanges?
- What kind of after-sale support do you provide, and what are your expectations from new owners?
When contacting the Maine Coon breeders, be attentive to these signs that indicate their reputation:
- Thorough and Evidential Responses: Reputable cat breeders will answer your questions comprehensively and back their claims with evidence or proof.
- Interest in You: They will also inquire about you, your expectations, and your suitability as an owner.
- Passion and Enthusiasm: Reputable cat breeders will demonstrate genuine passion and enthusiasm for their cats and kittens.
- Transparency and Honesty: They will be upfront and transparent about their breeding practices, policies, and kitten availability.
- Respectful Communication: Reputable Maine Coon cat breeders will communicate respectfully and avoid pressuring or rushing you to make a decision.
- References or Testimonials: They will readily provide references or testimonials from previous customers or clients for verification.
By considering these factors and asking relevant questions, you can ensure that you are dealing with a reputable Maine Coon breeder who prioritizes the health and welfare of their cats and kittens.
Visit the Maine Coon cat breeder
The third step in finding a reputable Maine Coon breeder involves visiting their facility in person to observe their cats and kittens. Before making any final decisions or deposits for a kitten, it’s essential to arrange a visit with the cat breeder. You can schedule the visit through phone, email, or messaging, based on their convenience. During the visit, keep an eye out for the following aspects:
Cleanliness: The breeder’s facility should maintain a high level of cleanliness and sanitation. There should be no dirt, odor, clutter, or mess around. The cats and kittens should have access to clean water, food, litter, and comfortable bedding. The litter boxes must be well-maintained, and food and water bowls should be clean and filled.
Space: Ensure that the cat breeder’s facility provides ample space and comfort for the cats and kittens. They should have sufficient room to move freely, play, and rest. It’s ideal if the cats and kittens are not confined to cages or crates unless necessary for medical or safety reasons. Adequate access to natural light, ventilation, heating, and cooling is essential.
Care: Observe the signs of care and attention given to the cats and kittens. They should appear healthy and content, showing no signs of illness, injury, or distress. Look for shiny coats, clear eyes, and clean ears. Friendly and sociable behavior in the cats and kittens is a positive indication.
Quality: Check for signs of quality and professionalism in the breeder’s facility. The cats and kittens should exhibit the distinctive features of Maine Coon breed, such as large size, long fur, tufted ears, and a plumed tail. Ensure that they have pedigrees showcasing their lineage and health certificates reflecting the results of genetic tests and vaccinations.
During your visit, be attentive to these signs indicating a reputable breeder:
- Warm Welcome: A reputable cat breeder will warmly welcome you and gladly give you a tour of their facility.
- Introduction to Cats and Kittens: They will introduce you to their cats and kittens, providing details about their names, ages, and personalities.
- Interaction: You’ll be allowed to interact with the cats and kittens to observe their behavior closely.
- Detailed Answers: The cat breeder will answer your questions in detail, backing their claims with evidence or proof.
- Mutual Interest: They will show interest in getting to know you and understand your expectations as a potential owner.
- Passion and Enthusiasm: A reputable cat breeders will display genuine passion and enthusiasm for their cats and kittens.
- Transparency and Honesty: They will be transparent and honest about their breeding practices, policies, and kitten availability.
- Respectful Communication: The Maine Coon breeder will communicate respectfully and avoid pressuring you into making hasty decisions.
By carefully observing these aspects during your visit, you can ensure that you are dealing with a reputable Maine Coon breeder who prioritizes the well-being of their cats and kittens.
How to Prepare for Bringing Home Your Maine Coon Kitten
Once you have selected a reputable Maine Coon breeder and chosen your perfect kitten, it’s time to prepare for their arrival. Here are some essential tips to get ready for bringing home your new furry friend:
- Purchase the same food and litter that the cat breeder has been using for your kitten. This helps maintain consistency and minimizes stomach upset during the transition. Consider gradually switching to high-quality, nutritious food suitable for Maine Coons if you decide to change later.
- Get a variety of toys to keep your kitten entertained and active. Balls, mice, feathers, lasers, and tunnels are some favorites among Maine Coons.
- Provide a comfortable bed where your kitten can feel safe and cozy in its new home. Baskets, cushions, and blankets are excellent choices.
- Acquire a suitable carrier to safely transport your kitten from the breeder to your home and for future vet visits. Choose a carrier that suits your kitten’s size and provides security during travel.
- Invest in a scratching post covered with sisal or carpet to satisfy your kitten’s natural instinct to sharpen its claws and stretch.
- Ensure your home is safe and comfortable for your new kitten by removing or securing any potential hazards like wires, cords, toxic plants, chemicals, and medications. Cover or block openings and spaces where your kitten could get stuck.
- Place scratching posts in various areas of your home to encourage your kitten to use them instead of damaging furniture.
- Create hiding spots with boxes, bags, or closets where your kitten can retreat if feeling scared or stressed.
- Set up perches like shelves, windowsills, or cat trees for your kitten to climb and observe its surroundings.
- Use positive reinforcement with treats, toys, praise, and petting to reward your kitten for good behavior and create positive associations with its new environment.
- Be patient and allow your kitten to adjust at its own pace. Avoid overwhelming it with too much attention or stimulation.
- Supervise interactions with other family members, especially children and pets, ensuring everyone treats the kitten gently and respectfully.
By following these tips, you’ll be well-prepared to welcome your Maine Coon kitten into its new home, ensuring a smooth transition and a happy, healthy start to your journey together.
In conclusion, welcoming a Maine Coon into your life can be a rewarding experience filled with love and happiness. To ensure the best start for your new feline companion, it’s crucial to find a reputable breeder who cares about the well-being and health of their cats. The benefits of obtaining a Maine Coon from such a Maine Coon cat breeder include a healthy and well-socialized kitten that meets the breed’s standards.
On the other hand, obtaining a Maine Coon from a backyard cat breeder or a pet store may expose you to potential risks, including health issues and behavioral problems. Therefore, conducting thorough research and asking the right questions when finding a breeder is essential.
Remember to prepare your home for your new furry friend by providing all the necessary supplies, a safe environment, and a warm welcome. Creating a comfortable and stimulating space will ensure a smooth transition for your Maine Coon kitten.
As you embark on this exciting journey with your new Maine Coon, I hope this article has been valuable in guiding you towards making informed decisions. If you have any inquiries or thoughts, please don’t hesitate to reach out. I’m here to help and wish you all the best in your wonderful adventure with your beloved Maine Coon!
How much does a Maine Coon cost from cat breeders?
The cost of a Maine Coon depends on various factors, such as the breeder’s reputation, location, experience, etc., the cat’s age, gender, color, size, quality, etc., and the demand and supply of the breed. Generally, a Maine Coon from a reputable breeder can cost anywhere from $1,000 to $3,000 or more. A Maine Coon from a backyard breeder or a pet store can cost much less, but it may also come with many health and behavioral issues.
How big does a Maine Coon get?
The size of a Maine Coon also depends on various factors, such as the cat’s genetics, diet, health, etc. Generally, a Maine Coon is one of the largest domestic cat breeds in the world. A male Maine Coon can weigh from 15 to 25 pounds or more, and a female Maine Coon can weigh from 10 to 15 pounds or more. A Maine Coon can also grow up to 40 inches in length from nose to tail tip.
How long does a Maine Coon live?
The lifespan of a Maine Coon also depends on various factors, such as the cat’s genetics, health, care, etc. Generally, a Maine Coon can live from 10 to 15 years or more. However, some Maine Coons may live shorter or longer than this average. The oldest recorded Maine Coon lived to be 26 years old.
How do I groom a Maine Coon?
The grooming of a Maine Coon is not very difficult or time-consuming. However, it is important to groom your Maine Coon regularly to keep its coat healthy and beautiful. You should brush your Maine Coon at least once a week with a wide-toothed comb or a slicker brush to remove any loose hair, dirt, or mats. You should also trim your Maine Coon’s nails every few weeks with a nail clipper or a grinder to prevent them from growing too long or sharp. You should also clean your Maine Coon’s ears every few weeks with a cotton ball or a swab and an ear cleaner to remove any wax or debris. You should also brush your Maine Coon’s teeth every day with a toothbrush and a toothpaste designed for cats to prevent any dental problems.
What do I feed a Maine Coon?
The feeding of a Maine Coon is not very complicated or expensive. However, it is important to feed your Maine Coon properly to keep it healthy and happy. You should feed your Maine Coon a high-quality, nutritious, and balanced diet that meets its nutritional needs and preferences. You should choose a food that is specially formulated for large breeds, such as Maine Coons, that contains high levels of protein, fat, fiber, vitamins, minerals, etc. You should also provide your Maine Coon with fresh water at all times and avoid giving it any human food or treats that may be harmful or toxic for it.
Are Maine Coon cats suitable for families with children?
Absolutely! Maine Coon cats are renowned for their gentle and friendly demeanor, making them an excellent choice for families with children. They readily embrace their human pack, showering them with affection and playfulness
Do Maine Coon cats get along with other pets?
Maine Coon cats are naturally sociable and can coexist harmoniously with other pets, provided proper introductions are made. Gradually introduce your Maine Coon to other pets, offering supervised interactions until they become familiar with each other.